Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Prayer

As a rule, I'm not the most poetic of souls. I like some poetry, I read some poetry, and I even write some poetry (generally for my wife), but don't usually go out of my way for it. That said, I found a really great poem that I thought was worth repeating here:
    My Prayer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Let me not die before I've done for Thee
    My earthly work, whatever it may be;
    Call me not hence with mission unfulfilled;
    Let me not leave my space of ground untilled!
    Impress this truth upon me--that not one
    Can do my portion that I leave undone;
    For each one in Thy vineyard hath a spot
    To labor on for life, and weary not.
    Then give me strength all faithfully to toil;
    Converting barren earth to fruitful soil.
    I long to be an instrument of thine,
    To gather worshipers unto thy shrine;
    To be the means, one human soul to save
    From the dark terrors of a hopeless grave.
    Yet most I want a spirit of content
    To work where'er thou'lt wish my labor spent,
    Whether at home or in a stranger clime,
    In days of joy, or sorrow's sterner time.
    I want a spirit passive, to lie still,
    And by Thy power, to do Thy holy will.
    And when the prayer unto my lips doth rise,
    "Before a new home doth my soul surprise,
    Let me accomplish some great work for Thee."
    Subdue it, Lord! let my petition be,
    "O! make me useful in this world of Thine,
    In ways according to thy will, not mine."
    Let me not leave my space of ground untilled:
    Call me not hence with mission unfulfilled;
    Let me not die before I've done for Thee
    My earthly work, whatever it may be.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    from the PRIMITIVE CHURCH (OR BAPTIST) MAGAZINE. June 1, 1864, p. 136

I couldn't find any info on who wrote it, only that it was published in the periodical mentioned above.

No comments: